Assist in supervising and coordinating activities of workers engaged in charging, operating, and tapping furnaces, in pouring molten metal, and in chipping the cupola and ladle. Conduct chemical and physical laboratory test to assist in making analyses of materials used to make pipe.
Duties & Responsibilities:
· Have a good working knowledge of all the melting department jobs and uses that knowledge to help train his subordinates and make the right decisions when needed.
· The ability to think quickly and react, make intelligent, safe decisions
· Ensuring the Cupola is always being operated in a professional manner and at an optimal performance level with high regards for Safety, Environmental and quality standards.
· Performing inventory of raw materials and ordering materials as needed to maintain daily departmental operations
· Examines raw materials and products at various stages of processing for conformance to specifications.
· Observes and inspects machines and equipment for malfunctions and orders adjustments or repairs, or directs workers to adjust or repairs and tracks work orders to completion
· Direct and coordinate the activities of employees engaged in the production or processing of goods
· For overtime hours outside of the scope of production the supervisor will estimate the hours needed for the completion of the task required and request the overtime through the department manager.
· Interprets specifications and job orders to workers, and assigns duties as appropriate
· Establishes and adjusts work procedures to ensure the most current procedures are being utilized and are documented in the MDNJ spec book
· Analyzes and resolves work problems, or assists workers in solving work problems.
· Conduct chemical and physical laboratory test to assist in making analyses of materials used to make pipe.
· Performs other duties or tasks as assigned by the department manager
High school diploma or general education degree (GED); or one to three years related experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization. Ability to carry out detailed written or oral instructions. Must be computer literate and familiar with metallurgical sampling.